Skip to main content

Island Walk


  • I always try to help Rachael with Hubbard/Rockford if asked. They had me down for 3 days but at last minute asked for the other day. Work at Rockford is slow so working isn't hard, but not following my usual routine tired me out a bit. 
  • I still had some work I could take care of up in Cullman. Some bushhog work and other little items but the high temps held me back a bit. I did ride my bike a little and got in some of my walking in addition to some chores.
  • Max needed to be delivered to Charlotte, SC for his drum major camp. I volunteered to take him. I was glad to be able to perform this chore for him but the long trip up and back combined with extra heavy traffic in the Atlanta are, which extended to within 30 miles of Alabama, combined to really tire me out.
  • There had been a problem with my left rear wisdom tooth for over a year, so I decided I should get it taken care of before I wound up isolated somewhere in PEI. The extraction didn't appear to be problematic until just before time to leave. I continued to have some bleeding ooze and developed what I diagnosed as a sinus infection. Just a couple of days before I am to fly out, I am feeling like crap and wondering if I ought to cancel. By flight time my antibiotic has me feeling well enough so I go ahead.
  • As per instructions for international flight, we arrived at the airport in Birmingham 3 hours before the 7am flight. So we barely slept at all. From there we easily made Chicago on time. During the wait for the flight, I was notified that the Toronto flight had been delayed to a mechanical problem by 1 hour. That wasn't a disaster because it would reduce my layover time in Toronto. But that didn't happen because as the flight made its way, there was another delay of an hour added to it. So we waited even longer when the Toronto flight was delayed again for weather. Finally we boarded the flight to Charlottetown. There was another problem that maintenance had to take care of which created a long delay, then another delay when the paperwork that had to be filed and signed by the flight crew took another 20 minutes to come to the plane.
  • We arrived in PEI late and I began looking for my Taxi ride. Somehow I missed him as departed the building. No cab outside had anyone in it. I texted and got a reply that he was inside with a sign. When I went back in I found him there. He must have been elsewhere as I came through. Outside it felt freezing with temps in the 50's and a brisk breeze so I brought out my puffer jacket. Once in the cab, I was informed that fares would be cash. I had obtained 600 dollars worth of Canadian money but realized that if all the rides required cash, I wouldn't have enough. George, the driver, told me I could easily access ATM's close to my hotel. So I settled in for the night and hoped to get up to remedy the cash situation in the morning. 

  • After breakfast, I went for a short walk and found the ATM within a short walk from the hotel. I tried to withdraw cash and the transaction was declined. I tried several others but had the same result. I turned to Google to try to figure out my problem. My first thought was that the Credit Union had messed up. But upon further research I learned that I must find a VISA ATM. I had the bright idea to do a search for a VISA atm on Google maps. Eureka! I found one at Prince Edward University. Only thing was it would be about a 1.5 mile hike. So I headed out. It worked. But I could only make one withdrawal with a maximum limit. I reasoned that no matter which machine I used, I would come up against a single withdrawal limit every 24 hours. I resolved to get up early, get a taxi and quickly go to one of the two machines I had found on the map. So after a short night of rest, I was out early with a local cab headed to one of the two machines identified within the city. 
  • As luck would have it, as I ran inside to the ATM, the screen displayed a message that it was down being updated. SMH. So I had the cab take me back to the University Library I had gone to the previous day. Online it said it was open 24 hours. Probably true, but the University was close down. Locked up tight because today was Canada Day. The drive said he had an idea and took me to a downtown location for the bank that had the Visa ATM's. The Royal Bank of Canada location had an open vestibule with 3 machines where I again withdrew my daily limit. I was feeling a little better, but across the rest of my route, ATM's appeared to be scarce.
  • First B&B required cash
  • Delayed start and Busy highway
  • 4 Wheel drives and country music festival
  • Toes get hurt
  • Brackley Beach and Red Sand
  • Kayaking
  • Beach 
  • Walk to St. Peters
  • National Park walk
  • Coffee adds life
  • Confederacy Trail in the fog and mist
  • Humadex of 100
  • Walk to New Zealand
  • Johnson Shores
  • Charli
  • Elmira
  • Elliot's Grocery
  • Long walk in the rain and muddy road
  • PEI penny
  • Shanty Stay Souris
  • Jif PB
  • Busy roads again and Rodd Brudnell 
  • Confederacy Trail
  • Walk to Montague on a very warm day
  • Lane's River Inn
  • Bog Brewery
  • Laundromat
  • Shuttle to airport
  • PEI to Toronto delayed 1 hour
  • Long lines at Security check and documents
  • got to Chicago flight with 5 minutes to spare
  • Flight to Chicago mechanical problem delay about 45 minutes
  • Then flight has to wait to enter runway 15 minutes
  • After landing held 15 minutes due to ramp congestion
  • At gate rep says they are holding flight, make it by 7:45. 
  • Running through airports
  • 2 minutes late
  • Overnight in Chicago with Tornado warning
  • 4am wakeup call
  • Flight home
  • Overnight in Chicago
  • American Airlines and Cash
  • Finally in Alabama

Popular posts from this blog

Nice

  “Nice” is Not a Compliment THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN NICE AND KIND. BY NATASHA DELION One of the worst things you can call someone is nice. Being called nice either means you are boring or fake. In my experience, most people I’ve encountered that were described as nice turned out to be the latter, yet each time I was still surprised. I used to believe that it was a good thing when the general consensus for someone was that they were nice, but as I’ve continued to interact with many people like this, I’ve learned that it’s very much a hidden red flag. I wanted to believe that a nice person was on their way to being a kind person. I wanted to believe that everyone was trying to be better to themselves and to others, but I was too optimistic. Niceness can be disguised as kindness which causes difficulty when differentiating between the two. I’ve mistaken someone’s niceness as kindness many times and each time I still felt betrayal when I came to the realization. I’ve learned to fo

Spock

Spock is my favorite character in all fiction. A character who bridged the gap between two worlds and faced disdain from each. Who strove for excellence and exemplified strength, character, intelligence, and control. His nearly emotionless demeanor was a perfect foil for those who would attempt to intimidate or insult him. It was a style I would endeavour to imitate to thwart those attempting to insult, demean, or scare me in my own young life. I bought this little figure to remind me to guard against letting my defenses down and allowing emotional hurt to strike me.

Sleeping in...

This morning I awoke in time for spinning class but I guess the quiet rain lulled me back to sleep. When I woke the second time, I didn't have time to get out to the class so I just slept in. I needed the rest anyway. So, what happens after the Florida Bike ride? I have an idea that I should carry on with the morning workouts but swap weight training for three days of the week. So Monday, Wednesday, and Friday can be weight training. Then Tuesday and Thursday morning can be spinning or stair climbing. I guess the focus should be to continue with exercise but it should be mainly for endurance and aerobic conditioning. In that case, maybe I should spin 3 or more days a week and weight train for high repetitions the other days.