Skip to main content

Florida Bike Safari 2014

This year's Safari was dampened with rain on 3 of the days. Bev's ride over to Cherry Lake was marred with an episode where she overheated and had to get a ride for the last 5 miles. She had some good rides on the first 2 days. Tuesday's ride went well down to Madison but the weather caught us a little distance from the cabins and we endured a soaking. With the forecast calling for 2 days of thunderstorms, I elected to ride over to Live Oak and retrieve the van. I made most of the 50 mile trek with only a light rain but it finally caught me and I got soaked to the bone. Bev's bike parts finally showed their age and I have ordered all new components to build up her steed. But since then she's had some problems with breathing. Right now they're treating it like asthma so we will see how much benefit that protocol provides.

Popular posts from this blog

The long ride...

Today I made a 19 mile mountain bike ride. This ride came in sloppy, muddy, sandy soil making the distance seem so much farther. I had hoped to make a 20 mile ride before heading down to Florida. It would be my graduation. I guess I am ready for the Safari.

240

All those PEANUT BUTTER sandwiches and pop-tarts have taken the toll. I am up to 240 lbs. Now the need for a diet is critical. I had success eating low calorie density foods when I lost weight 2 years ago. I am at that crossroad again. I have to get somewhere and do some meditation to get my mind set to do the weight loss I need. I wish I were off in the mornings again so I could do the morning hikes up the mountain. I'll have to make some adaptation to get it done.

The man in the Moon...

On this date in 1969 Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin landed on the Moon. I don't know if I remember the actual day or just recall one of the many replays I've seen of the moon landing. I can hear Neil say, "One small step...". It was really something for a kid. We all watched Star Trek and saw the mission to the moon as a stepping stone. Here after all these years, we haven't got very far with manned space flight. It isn't important. If it's "giant leaps" we are after, there are plenty to be had.